Friday, March 20, 2015

WHAT TIME MADE YOU APPRECIATE.



What time made you appreciate.

Eko my Lagos! This ever bustling city where some people don’t sleep. I’ve been to different parts of this city from its heart on the Island, another extreme called Folu (Ibeju-Lekki  Local Government) to various places on the mainland. It’s wonderful to know some people don’t wink during the night and I’m not talking about security men but about people who don’t work at night. Some people just want to club or go for a vigil or just want to earn a living. Cheers to all!




Lagos has taught me something. You can be alive (I mean breathing) and forget to live. Some people are too busy (I call them the busy-bees) running around in this rat-race all to make money to please the people that matter to them only for the busy-bees to notice and exclaim later saying “hey! Where are those I’m working for?” and they in turn reply “sorry, we’re done waiting for you to come to us. We barely see you because you’re always working. Work is the only thing that matters to you!” Busy-bee will get angry and then decide to use all that been gathered on less important things. Don’t wait for this to happen to you. Selah!

Now to the meat in this soup. Last year, my friend Emeka lost his mum and it was a hard time for him. He was travelling to different states all for her good health before she died. I decided to imagine myself in his shoes and the first two paragraphs dawned on me. Lately, a woman on my street died. We used to call her Granma. While she was alive, she used to beg around for food. During the burial, food was too much. I realised people don’t appreciate those who are alive most times until it is too late. I wrote this poem for him and also decided to dedicate it to those who have lost that special woman. The third reason behind this poem is for it to serve as a wakeup call for those who have their loved ones around them. Cherish them before time and death makes you appreciate what you had.


                          My Precious Rose.         

My precious rose

A beauty to behold

My dazzling jewel

Your worth has no competition

Even diamonds pale before you

You’re clearer to me than a crystal

You outshine every precious stone

That’s simply who you are

Oh my lovely mother!



My guardian angel

The first woman I ever loved

You were not scared to share you

Share your body, your food, your heart and its beat

Even with all its stress

You gave your all to bring me to this world

Your blood, your life,

And I’m ever grateful to you for this

Oh my lovely mother!



Hearing your sweet voice every morning was a delight

Feeling you holding me was glorious

Oh how my soul longs to feel you breathe again

Your meals were heaven on earth

Not even the best chefs in this realm could outsmart you

Without you,

The house is a clanging cymbal

Your presence in the house is comforting

Like the very dew that falls from Mount Hermon

Just as the cloud that surrounds Kilimanjaro

Your presence itself was divine

Like withdrawing the venom of a viper from a wound

Oh my lovely mother!



My sweet angel

For that’s what you’ll always be

You were heaven sent

Always there for me

Ready to fight for me

All I needed to do was call you

You made me realise the worth of being a mother

You are more than words can express

Oh my lovely mother!



How I wish I could bring you back

To tell you how sweet you are

To remind you that

You’re the honey that swallows the bitterness of herbs

To sing about your beauty

To let the world know

You’re the crown hidden in the mountains

To glorify your worth

Oh my lovely mother!



My shining star!

You never fade

You’re forever in my heart

You’ve taken a piece of it and I’m satisfied

Thank you for the lovely times

And the wonderful memories

Your life – a blessing

Your demise- LOVE IS STRONGER THAN DEATH

You’ve left an enormous hole to big to be filled

For now

It’s till we meet to part no more

Oh my lovely mother!



Dedication.

1.       To my mum who faced death and is still alive.


2.       To a woman who’s been an angel in my life: Mrs Flora Oladapo


3.       To those who have lost their mothers yet the memories and love lingers: Emeka Madusha, Uncle Femi Adepoju and siblings (your mum was a wonderful woman and I still remember her lovely smile) Michelle Adepoju and siblings, Femi Awodeyi, Damilola Onifade,  Aderonke Ajayi.


4.       To those whose mothers have faced death in illness, it scared the breath in you but you still have her with you in the midst of all (please pardon me and read ‘is’ wherever you see’ was’): Ada Onumejor, Femi Farawe, the Oshowo’s (I remember Kemi telling me some years back that your mum was sick and you guys were frightened)Toke Adegbesan, the Oduntans.


5.       To those whose mother’s have had to be strong alone: Mayowa Akinrinlo, Olayinka Obajuluwa, Ona Aboloko, Damilola Akinlolu,Patricia and Atilayo Akinfolarin, Dapo Akinsola, the Oyeniran's


6.       To all whose mother’s has gone through one trying time or the other and I forgot to put your name. (no vex abeg, just send me your name and if you want me to write something else no problem).



5 comments:

  1. Actually my mom is saying thanks. Solomon, you were wrong. Love is STRONGER than death!. Boli...you did well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm moved to tears. Thanks Bolanle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost my mum 20 years ago. This really touched me. Thank u.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the simplicity. Thanks for the thought behind this. Thanks for bringing to mind that which is easily forgotten.

    ReplyDelete