Monday, September 6, 2021

DO YOUR PART NOW

"He's dead!!!"

That's all I heard.

I was shocked😲... actually mortified.

"Who?"
"Nepa" said my mum.

Silence

"Bolanle, are you there?"

"Ye...yes" I stuttered

"Wo da gbo uhun mo fo bei"  she asked if I heard what she said in Ondo dialect.

"Mr. Aiyegbokiki abi"

"Yes" she said.

Mr Aiyegbokiki lived on our street in Idimu. We grew up in Sholuyi, Gbagada until my dad died. My parents were building a house in Idimu so my mum completed the house and we moved there in October. We came from boarding house in December and went straight to Idimu.

That's where we learnt what Wizkid meant by aye o pe meji. Life was hard. 

Thankfully, baba ku baba ku. We had people who decided to step in for us. 

Mr Aiyegbokiki was one of them. By the way he worked in the defunct Nepa which is why I said Nepa earlier.

Another was Mr Oshowo. Mehn!!! I respected this man too. He shared his kids provision into two whenever our mum didn't come during visiting day. 

Funny how we or I lost two of them this year.

I wish I could appreciate their effort one more time. 

Don't wait till you're wishing. Take out time to do so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment