Tuesday, August 4, 2015

STRONG-MAN




You might not be able to relate with this if you haven’t lost a Father or a Father figure. 

Can you remember our Father’s day special? That short dedication written by my cousin Aderonke?  If you can't read it HERE


Her Dad passed on 6 days after Father’s day. I’ve been trying to write this since then but the words seemed close to me but it didn’t surround me (writers can understand what that means). 

After a weekend there when I finally felt them, I got the words and believe me now I see why there’s a high priest who feels our infirmities. 

I decided to dedicate this to more cousins but I know there are lots of people who have lost a Father or a Father figure so this is also for you. 

I hope it resounds somewhere in your heart.Enjoy it. 



I was walking down this path

Walking with you of course

Happy you were there

Overjoyed to know you’ll be with me

With the sun giving us its golden hue of life

Licking up the fuming splash poured out by green lips


Oh!

I felt on top of the world

Like I had cat heels

Now I knew what it meant

When someone said it is a good day to start clapping

I kept clapping

Dancing

Singing

 Jubilating

Running

Loving

It was really a good day to be living


Then you hit the stone

I felt it was something little

“Don’t worry, my hero’s going to shake it off”

And the rewinder winded forward

And forward 

Still forward

The sun began to grey before my very eyes

As the north wind sent snow balls

Right now the rest is history


I look upon the times we spent together

And from the bottom of my heart

I miss you

Your words like a cloud of wisdom

Wrapped as soft smooth sweet silk around my neck

Your presence was a treasure

Your steps my footpath

Your eyes my light, my guide

Your breath was weeding out the thorns in my path

Seeing you was a delight

Knowing you were there was the sunset on my Miami Beach


I miss those times

When I held your hands

With you, 

There was always something to laugh about 

Your life gave me an inspiration

Made me strong

Like the water hidden in coconut


Now the silence is deafening

There’s a great vacuum

That‘s caused a lot of clutter


You still are my hero

The first man I ever knew

The first man I ever loved

Even though I saw cracks

You still remain my knight in shining armor

You are the leaf that gives my tea it taste

A hand that lifts the weight in my path

The grace that makes me dazzle


You gave me a sky- blue vision for my days

A breath to keep me warm throughout the night

Nothing else brings that drip drop of essence

Licking up my face with love

Like you my strong man

I love you


Even though there are those who wouldn’t know you

They will see you in my eyes

Feel you in my arms

And walk around with you in my steps

And I’m encouraged

Because when the day comes,

I’ll surely see you again

And we’ll talk and laugh and rejoice

Till then 

Remain the strong man that you are!


6 comments: