Sunday, November 15, 2015

RAIN CLOUDS 3.



She took a deep breath and fought her nerves and all she wanted to say. Instead, she said “Can you fill me in on the whole story?

“I married my wife 19 years ago. It was fun till our 2nd year when our family members started questioning us about kids. We spent the following 5 years traveling all over the world to find a solution." 


"We found out that she had some abortions by quacks and it had damaged her womb”. He paused to drink some water.

“5 years ago, my cousin came to my house and was doing some cleaning in my room where I believe she stumbled on this information and told her mum who told my mother and other family members. They decided to rain fire and brimstone on my wife”.

“That was when she left the house. She moved to South Africa and she runs a business there now. We communicate a lot and she was the one who even brought up this option”.

Susan put her hands on her head, her mind racing and heart pounding. She was too shocked to say anything.

“Are you leaving?” asked John as she realised she was at the door already. She turned around when he said “Call me if you change your mind”.

She headed straight to see her father. Her mind was so busy she didn’t even hear the bus conductor until he tapped her and said “auntie, you get change? I don dey call you since. Think small small o”.

A tap brought back her consciousness. “Sister Susan, how are you? No work today?”

It was some choir members from Church. She gave them brief hugs. “I’m going to check on my dad. How are you girls doing? I was really blessed by your ministration in Church Yesterday”.

“Thank God o Sister Susan. You know ever since your dad gave the testimony about your job I know people who have decided to change their ways. God is good o”.

Susan wasn’t in the mood for this but luck was on her side as she arrived at the bus-stop leading to her father’s house. Saying a brief bye to the ladies as she alighted and headed for the house.  

She decided to buy some fruits from one of their neighbors. “Good afternoon mama Chika, I want to buy some oranges”.

“Suzie baby, you’re back from the hospital?” said mama Chika.

“Hospital?” said a frightened Susan “what happened?”

“I told Chika to give your father moin-moin. The next thing I know Chika runs back to me to tell me he found your father on the floor. Immediately, I ran 440 to call Baba Bose to take him to the hospital. You should have seen me. I didn’t know I could run ...”

Susan ran to the bus-stop and got a cab to take her to the hospital. She arrived almost at the same time with Ben and they went to see the doctor who informed them that their father would need a surgery.

Her mind started racing. She knew how much she preached to the ladies in Church to stay pure and not sleep with people for money.

Now what was she going to do?

A few days later, she came visiting her dad in the hospital. “Daddy, I want you to meet my fiancé. John Iyoha”.

“Good afternoon sir” said John “it’s my pleasure to finally meet you and I must say you have a beautiful daughter who’s exceptionally brilliant. I love brilliant women and that was what drew her to me”.

“Hmm” sighed Susan’s dad. "God just keeps blessing me in so many ways. Now I’m going to have a son-in-law and very soon my grandchildren will be around me, Chai! God thank you for deciding to always bless me.”

They had a small chat before leaving the hospital. John’s family would come for a small family introduction after he was out of the hospital and John was transferring him to the Army Surgery hospital to make sure he got the best treatment.

They told him they planned for a small court wedding because it was against their family tradition to have a loud wedding. Since he heard about his treatment, Susan’s dad wasn’t bothered about the wedding but he told them he would bring their Pastor to pray for them in court.

A few days later, Susan sat down to think about how her life had changed so much. she was the one who preached to people not to do things because of money especially where it was about relationship and marriage.

Now she was going against all of that. But who knew? Since they didn't know, it wouldn't hurt them.

After going for fertility tests abroad and the doctors confirmed that she was ok, they proceeded with the wedding. His parents had assured her they were on her side.

Two months later...

Susan’s dad walked up to the Church podium dressed like a King that Sunday morning. He started with the testimony of how his daughter got a job because God favoured her and because she was brilliant.

A woman must be brilliant so she would be favoured like Esther. She should not sleep with a man to get that position. 

And so Sister Susan became the role model and counsellor for teenagers in the Church.

5 comments:

  1. Sadly, this is a picture of many of the testimonies that we have in Church today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and the papa dey run mouth, he no no; if only parents knew all that their kids are involved in, there will be no more parents due to heart attack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Se fini! Very true story

    ReplyDelete