Saturday, November 14, 2015

RAIN CLOUDS 2.



Very early the next morning an incoming call woke Susan up.

She picked up her phone and saw it was her brother calling.

“Sist, how far” Ben fashioned a shorter way of saying sister.

“Ben how now, why are you calling me this early?” she asked.


“Sist its daddy o, he fell down, injured himself and sprained his ankle”. Panic raced through her mind. This wasn’t what she wanted to hear and it didn’t sound good too.

 “Ok, I’ll be with you shortly” but she remembered the interview. She needed to be stable this time to do it properly so she changed her mind “you know what, you take care of him I’ll see him in the afternoon, I have an interview this morning”.

“All the best o, but package something when you’re coming. We need it badly”.
The thought of the money Ben was asking for made her end the call immediately. She immediately got on her knees and began to pray for favor.

The traffic was rather light making it easy for Susan to arrive at Yo-Ha Advertising Agency in a little over an hour. 

This receptionist was grumpy unlike the lady on dreads she met the previous day. 

Pushing her glasses on top of her nose, she said to Susan “Yes?”

“I’m here to see to see Mr Iyoha”.

“For what”?

“I have an appointment”.

“ Ok” the receptionist picked up a phone while Susan stood there waiting for her to confirm. “Sit down o, before they will say I’m somehow and didn’t attend to you well. People that are not well, they will come and say you’re rude, you’re this, you’re that...”

Susan sat down and shut out the woman whose volcano didn’t stop erupting. Since she wasn’t here to see her, she decided to stay focused. Her mind went to her father as she was saying a prayer for him, when the receptionist cut in:

“...sebi you said you have an appointment, why didn’t you say it was for 12? O ga o” she said. 

Susan focused on what she was reading online. Since the whinge didn’t stop, she would bear with her till it was 12. 

“Madam, oya  it’s 12 o” said the receptionist as she gave her description to the boss’ office. As she was about to knock on his door, he opened it for her.

“Good afternoon Miss Williams, are you comfortable with the way I address you as Miss Williams?” he asked.

“Susan is preferable”.

“Ok. So I called you back because I noticed you had the highest score during the aptitude test. I also went through your resume and called two of your references. They had much to say about you” He said pouring himself a cup of juice and asking “Do you care for a drink?”

Spewing the drink was not going to happen this time. The horror of the previous day was still strong. “No I’ll pass, thank you”.

He laughed. “If I were you I wouldn’t have taken it. I’m actually going to offer you a job just because I want to study you for what I need you for”.

Susan was excited. She finally had a job. In a flash, her mind caught the totality of what he said. “If, I may ask, what do you need me for?” she asked.

“Don’t worry about that. You’ll resume on Monday and your appointment letter will be waiting for you. Your monthly remuneration will be #250,000. You can leave now”

“Thank you very much Sir”.

Susan was overjoyed. She joyously walked out. She didn’t even mind the receptionist who was still talking to her “Madam, bye bye o, you are going abi, na wa..”

She walked briskly out of the building. Arriving at the hospital, she hugged her father as they burst forth singing “he has done for me, he has done for me”.

“I’m going to give testimony in Church tomorrow. Let people rejoice at what God has done for us.” And true to his word, he told the whole Church what God had done and how God opened a way for his daughter without her sleeping with any man unlike some other people in Church. 

He encouraged everyone searching for a job to trust God and believe.

Three months later...

Susan knew she needed to change her father’s hospital. The sore was growing and they needed to take care of the sprain but..

“Susan, are you here? I’ve called you three times and you didn’t answer!

“I’m sorry sir” said an embarrassed Susan.

“See me in my office after this meeting” said John.

Susan waited in his office. Immediately John came in, she said “Sir I’m really sorry about this meeting. It won’t happen again I...”

“Don’t worry about that. You recall that when I called you back that Saturday, I told you I want to study you. I’ve watched you over the past three months and erm... I want you to marry me”.

“What do you mean and why because I know you’re married”

“My wife can’t have a child and we’ve been living separately for 5 years now. She’s agreed to this but she doesn’t want a divorce.”

“What if I don’t accept?”

“You can walk away, and leave the job”.


2 comments:

  1. Nice one, thankfully it ends tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men, they will always want something in return!

    ReplyDelete