Wednesday, March 2, 2016

LILIES OR THORNS 7.



CHAPTER 7 - LOSING HER MIND.
“Auntie thank you very much, I’m grateful” Ene said amidst sobs “thank you for taking away the man I love”

“What on earth are you talking about?” her aunt asked.

“Easy has broken up with me. There’s no relationship and there’s no more wedding all thanks to you. When you said you’ll handle it, I didn’t know you would do far more exceedingly than I thought.”

“Ene are you sure of what you’re saying?”

“This doesn’t sound funny to me in anyway” she snorted.

“You know what” her Aunt replied “let me talk to the doctor and get back to you.”

Mrs Onoja was shocked. What could have gone wrong? She thought all was well at least that was what the Doctor assured her of in the morning. Why the sudden change of events? She needed to talk to the doctor but that would require recharging her phone. 

After 5 minutes of trying to complete the transaction from her online banking platform, she gave up and sent Akpan to get her recharge card. It was just pouring salt to an open wound. Some of these banks needed sanctions and fines. They deducted all manner of charges from service to maintenance to text messages and monthly deductions yet their performance was below average. She would have to wait for another 5 minutes before Akpan would return with the recharge card. Mschew.

Read: LILIES OR THORNS 6.

The doctor had to pick up his phone. She didn’t go through the stress of recharging for him not to pick his call. And he finally did.

“Hello ma, I just finished doing my ward round that’s why...”

“What happened? What disrupted the plan?” she asked nervously

“Hmm” he sighed as he spoke gently and deliberately “the young man walked into my office and began to call me all sorts of unimaginable names. He found out it was a scam and he said he wanted his money back. I told him we run a non-refundable policy but he called his lawyer in my presence. Truth be told, my hospital is more than my career; it’s my life so I had to transfer his money back to him.”

“You did what?” asked Auntie

“I had to, I didn’t have any option.” He sighed.  “I still want my payment.”

“You must be out of your mind. As a matter of fact, you must be crazy. You better call your fellow doctors to check the screw that loosened in your number 6. Get the hell off my phone, stupid man” she answered angrily.

The idiot had the nerve to ask her for money after he became butter in Easy’s hand. Who did that? She actually thought the doctor was a brave and resilient man but she was surprised. For now, she had to remain calm and think of what to do. 

Fatimah! How come she hadn’t even thought of talking to the girl since Ene called her?  She got on the phone immediately. 

“Ene have you heard from Fatimah?” she asked.

“No I haven’t what’s the problem?” asked Ene

“Is there anything I should know?” her aunt said

“About Fatimah?” said Ene

“No about the Doctor. About Fatimah jare” her aunt replied sarcastically “I think she may be our weakest link and snitch” her aunt replied and paused for her to respond. Instead, she got silence and tears afterwards. 

“Fatimah, Fatimah, how could she do this to me?” she sobbed “I thought she was my friend but see what she’s done to me”

“Ene please answer my question and stop crying. Is there something I should know?” her aunt asked once again.

“When we were in school, I liked Easy and I told her about it. I travelled for Ejiro’s wedding and when I got back, she had already started making a move on Easy but Easy and I got back together and she apologised and we were friends again .” she lied

“You see the animal you’re keeping as your friend; you see what she has done to you. I always felt something wasn’t right between the two of you. Now I see what it is. Don’t you know someone like that can kill you? It’s a wonder she hasn’t even poured acid on you or killed you in your sleep. I’ll see what I can do. Honestly Ene, you should talk more and early before things get out of hand like this. Send me her number immediately and I’ll get back to you later.” she said as she dropped the phone.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ene got a cab to take her home. After all, Easy knew she was fine so there was no need for her to stay in the ward with that drab hospital gown and bandages wrapped around her. It was a nice plan but it was foiled.

She began to think of her life with Easy. The sweet times, the happy times and all in between. Now she had lost everything. No Easy, no relationship or marriage, no wedding and no friend.

She had also lost a friend. Something in her had always resented Fatimah out of guilt and fear. She knew Fatimah was intelligent but she didn’t expect her to play a fast one on her. Well she would deal with her.

As she was linking Adeniyi Jones to Ogba, she saw Fatimah’s jeep and Fatimah was sitting in front. Good, very good. She paid the driver, alighted and walked directly to her with all the anger in her that she could muster. 

“Fatimah, get down, I said get down from that car before I break the windscreen.” She said as she saw Fatimah alight with a raised eyebrow. 

Fatimah laughed and it made Ene more angry. “Do you think it’s funny? Who acts like a friend and is just a chameleon. I trusted you and see how decided to repay me as...”

“Oh shut up Ene, just shut up. You don’t trust me, you never did but the truth is your wish has come to pass. Ene you are just a selfish bitch who doesn’t care about others but would just want to have her way at whatever cost.” Fatimah spat out.

“At least I’m not a back-biting friend who would steal someone’s boyfriend. I won’t hide...” 

“Are you listening to yourself, isn’t that what you did when I tried to tell you about Easy. Moreover, if you really love him, you’ll see that he needs help.”

“Help? From you? You must be a joker. You see 2 of us will die here today. I will beat you till I kill you or till you kill me.” Ene said an immediately picked up a stick to hit Fatimah when she heard a voice shout “Stop it.” 

It was Easy. 

photo credit: allcars.pw 

Watch out for the next part on Sunday.      
     
Please share by clicking on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ in blue font below.

1 comment: