Sunday, March 6, 2016

LILIES OR THORNS 8.



CHAPTER 8 – FINAL SHOWDOWN.
Easy was happy he got to the spot where he was supposed to meet with Fatimah when he got there. He couldn’t believe Ene could be violent. Thank God he arrived there when he did.

He watched Ene as she froze at the sound of his voice. The next thing he saw was tears run down her eyes.

“Ea, Ea-sy” she sobbed “why would you do this to me?”

”What do you think you are doing Ene? Do you want to kill her?” he asked

“Easy what are you letting her do to us? Why are you letting her do this to us? She’s obviously delighted at this”

“Can you just drop the stick before I say anything at all? Please?” he begged.

After a few seconds, she dropped it and he picked it up and threw it far away. “Look Ene” he said “the only thing Fatimah is doing for me is to help me. I need to...”

“Help, what kind of help, she’s just jealous of the two of us. She’s, she’s a monster” said Ene as she pointed at her and eyed her.
“Watch your tongue Ene” said Fatimah “can’t you hear that the guy himself is telling you he needs...”

“Fatimah I would be glad if you didn’t say anything at all” Easy said to her before facing Ene again “Look Ene I don’t think the relationship is going to work out. I like you, I mean I really like you Ene but the truth is that I proposed to you because I needed money to clear debt and all. I’ve liked you right from school but the truth is that I’ve been selfish. I stuck with you because I knew I can get some money from you which I did; monthly allowances, handouts and all. 

I actually like to follow money and Fatimah noticed this; that’s why she’s helping me...”

“You two-timing bastard, I knew something was off about you but now I see you for who you are you filled his head with all these” she snapped at Fatimah

“Why try to milk him? What’s there to gain from what you’re doing? So after collecting his money and sending him into debts you’ll go back and continue with a relationship with him? That’s being a green snake under a green grass and that’s what I won’t do. Sorry Easy” she apologised to Easy who was trying to stop her from talking.

“Easy, about that” Ene sighed and said calmly looking like a lost little girl “I was confused because you kept requesting for money from me. I didn’t know what to do so I spoke with my aunt who...”

“would be on your side and not...” Fatimah was cut short by Easy.

“Fatimah! He shouted and took a deep breath to calm down “You know what, why don’t you just wait for me in that eatery over there? I’ll be with you shortly”

“Ok but my last word to her is...”

“Must there be a last word” asked an exasperated Easy

“Let her talk, I have all her replies as self-righteous as she is. Madam holier than thou” said an angry Ene.

“Ene your life would be sweeter if you see the world from other people’s view. You can’t always have what you want. It will push people away from you because it will give them the idea that you want to use them. If you need me you’ll find me” she said and left.

“Need you for what, you prostitute, wait to receive your response, I know how many times I’ve fought your battles” she shouted at Fatimah who was going into her car “from primary school till now and you’ve been useless to me...”

“Ene can you stop this! It’s getting annoying honestly” Easy said

“I knew it; Easy this girl has bewitched you. This girl is evil Easy, don’t let her come between us and our love” she held his face and pleaded

“Did she also plan to scam me?” he asked

“That was Auntie, and I told her I wasn’t sure about it but Easy it was just to show how much you love me, if you loved me as much as I love you and as much as I will continue to love you. I’m really sorry things turned out the way it did baby, but it should keep us together and stronger not tear us apart.”

“The truth is that we’ve always been apart. I stayed with you because of what I could get from you and you bossed me around. I’ve had enough of that and you should too” Easy answered her

“Ok, you know what” Ene said sniffing due to the running nose her tears bestowed upon her “I’ll give you more money and ...”

“Ene this isn’t about the money, don’t you get” he asked “it’s about my life and how I’ll become better. Ene, you’re beautiful, as beautiful as a lily and you’ll get another man but it can’t be me, I would just be a thorn in your life. I’m sorry.”

“Easy please don’t do this to me, I beg of you. Our wedding day is less than 3 months. What would people say? I’ve printed the I.V, paid for the hall and...”

“The supposed wedding” he said while using his fingers to describe an apostrophe “I don’t think I would have attended. Let’s just go our separate ways. I wish you well and I’ll keep wishing you well Ene.” he paused and continued again 

“The scam just helped me bring these issues to the fore. My father kept following women who could give him money and he was never there for my mum or us and I’m already doing the same.  He was handsome too so it was easy for him to flow with the ladies.  Let me live a different life Ene. Please, let me be.” Easy said and walked away.

“But you are to me, Easy I love you just the way you are” Ene said as a fresh wave of tears rolled down her cheeks.

“Ene, I have nothing more to say. Goodbye”

The end.

Photo credit: madamenoire.com

1 comment: